Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Whitman sisters

The Whitman sisters to me represent two things. Progress and Regression. The Whitman sisters were able to pave the way for blacks that followed in that they brought a new aesthetic to the dance world and enabled whites to “see” Blacks in a different light. However the Whitman sisters decision to perform in Black face is something I struggle with. Black face for me is something that engenders a lot of anger and frustration. It is the exaggeration and mockery of a state of being. Being Black is not something that can be wiped off each night after a performance. The application of tar, or paint to ones face in order to achieve Blackness is rather unsettling for me. To me my “blackness” is something I wear daily on my face. My skin color is not something I see as comparable to the makeup of artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment