Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Christian Conversion and the Challenge of Dance

The following response is less formal and more frank compared to my other responses.

Its getting to the point where these articles are preaching to the converted. It is evident that dance is an integral part of African spirituality and culture and during the Middle Passage and upon arrival in America, dance was used as a multi-faceted release outlet as well as a method of subversion. African/African American dance has majorly influenced dance as we know it and always will denote the state of the [Black] people and nation at large.

I felt that the introductory portion of this work was filled with fluff but was overall had some interesting statements sprinkled about. The following statement added t my perspective “Dance to most Europeans was empty of sacred content and to Africans sacred like prayer.” Though I knew Whites had little regard for the slaves, I never really thought of it in terms of their regard for dance and ignorance of its significance. This publication in many ways leads the reader to believe that all dance was sacred, which I do not believe was the case.

On another note the following quotation sparked additional questions, “They needed to fashion a form of dance in slavery that was consonant with the religious values of the majority of Africans.” – The author’s scholastic tone makes it seem as if development of the Ring Shout was a complex organized collaboration amongst slaves which I don’t think is true. I don’t know how the dance was dispersed but I do have ideas. I am thinking that it was transferred from worksite to worksite as slaves were bought, sold, and traded.

I also felt like I needed to take a side at one point, almost like the chicken and the egg debate where whatever side you choose is based on unsound data. Crossing verses uncrossed shuffling. I am thinking that if the dancers were crossing legs whilst shouting, the Ring Shout wouldn’t be a shuffle so I personally want to believe that people did not cross legs while doing that particular dance. I am interested in hearing what my peers have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment