Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Response to 'Dimensional Thinking' and 'the Art of Space Arrangement'—

Well, after our showings last Friday I was definitely feeling the doldrums of creativity but after reading these articles I feel the slate has been wiped clean again. I feel I can go back into my work with fresh eyes with the help of the spatial awareness qualities cited in these articles. The concept of time is at the top of my artistic vision for my duet and seeing my rhythm section on stage was very disappointing because its flatness. I’m glad that it’s so markedly different than the other movement qualities, but as we do live in a “very small window of time” I think it’s important that I try and embody with my dancers the concept of scale (214). The image of car turning-blinkers in heavy traffic, each going off at their own time and then synching up briefly, and then dissipating back into their own rhythms is something I am still trying to explore with my dancers. Time Mappings might also be a useful thing for me to do with my piece (217).

The Rodowicz article was also helpful in illuminating theatrical concepts of revelation and reflection. Demarcating spaces of the stage of where I wish to show change, development and personality I think will be helpful in organizing my ideas and making them more spatially dynamic. As an actor must learn how to relate his lines to his relation to the stage and his fellow actors, so must my dancers enter on a journey of experiencing my movement qualities and feelings of time into their inner psychological and physical experiences of the space and relationship with each another. That is a lot of information, but as Andrea says, “Don’t be precious with your work! Just do it!”

No comments:

Post a Comment