Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Dance 360 - Philippe Bronchtein

The article that we read for this week's class was very straightforward, informative, and relevant to where I am at in my creative process. I've been having several conversations with Tiffany about how I approach my process for my senior work and this article helped me think more about how I approach my rehearsals, and how changing up my process can potentially invigorate my piece.

The first line that really jumped out at me was, "Trusting the process is based on a belief that something valuable will emerge when we step into the unknown" (p-27). This statement is definitely true but can definitely be misinterpreted. While it is important to trust the process, I think that trusting in yourself, and your own competence as an artist can actually be more important. Some fantastic moments can emerge from a blind and complete trust in the process. But there is a difference between THE process and YOUR process. The larger idea of creating art cannot create brilliant work by itself. The artist must organize and reign in a force that can often times become unfocused and unshapely.

That said, on page 41, the author writes, "Errors are harbingers of original ideas because they introduce new directions for expression." There is nothing more satisfying that making the perfect mistake. I notice this especially when composing, when a finger slips onto a 'wrong' key on the piano and totally re-rails the entire focus for the piece and turns into a more effective, extreme, and exciting composition. The ability to capitalize on these mistakes, integrate them into the process, and not be afraid to explore the possibilities that come with errors is part of what being an effective artist is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment