Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Intellectual and Expressive Blocks- Cat 360

Here is what I took from this reading: When you have blocks in your problem-solving, you need to assess a few things. First, if one method of thinking about it doesn’t work try another. This moves straight into being flexible about your plan of attack; if it’s not working try a new way. Third, make sure you have your facts straight because if you don’t you will be building on an unstable foundation. Lastly, try to find the right way to communicate to others. This can be frustrating, but by making sure you do not use improper and/or non-descriptive vocabulary you will get your point across.

This is not unhelpful, however it is not entirely helpful either. I think it wasn’t very helpful to me because it simply presented facts and gave light advice as to how to work with our facts. It also embedded the simple message with a lot of examples that seemed very redundant. Another reason that I probably fond it relatively uninformative was because the examples were not applicable to me. I am not blaming the author, I’m just merely noting it. I also disliked the fact that the author repeatedly referred to a company that makes problem solving books. It made me think, “If that company has all of these methods and ways to problem-solve, why am I reading your book?”
I did find the last exercise interesting, and I would like to try, however I cannot see it helping me right now. Perhaps, this reading is simply something for me to take in and stick on the back burner for a later date. Maybe tomorrow during rehearsal I’ll suddenly realize that this is very applicable to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment