Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lighting Moment, Week 6-Cat, 360

This is a lighting moment I see every night when I'm going home from the CFA. Smoke raises from the grate and the street light from in front of the cemetery shines from behind the tree and causes a double shadow image of the tree on the smoke. I know my words aren't doing this scene justice. It is fascinating. If you ever have the chance, just look at it for a moment.

How to recreate it:
Well the most literal way would be to use a fog machine and have the dancer (instead of the tree) dance behind the fog. The dancer would be back-lit from a light blue (a barely perceptible blue)from the mids low and hi on a boom. That lighting would change depending how big I wanted the dancer's shadow. If I wanted it really big, as in tall and wide, I would probably want a floor lamp that was angled up at the dancer set far behind them. If I wanted a smaller I'd probably use the set I said and move the dancer closer to them.
However, tonight at the Inspirit rehearsal, I realized that the image had already been made, with a few additions. Using that idea, I could simply use a black or gray (probably gray) screen in front of the dancer and shine the light from behind the dancer. For a big shadow I'd move the light farther back and for a smaller one, I'd move it closer.

1 comment:

  1. closer to the light=larger shadow, further away= smaller shadow

    ReplyDelete