Friday, October 9, 2009

Lighting Moment 5 (LizB)

During my time abroad I lived near the historic center of Guadalajara. At night following my internship I would walk through the city center to catch my bus. Passing by the old cathedral, the lights built into the concrete sidewalks that ran alongside it always caught my attention. Like luminescent zits protruding their heads from the smooth footpath, they chased back the shadows of the towers that loomed high above.

I don’t know that it would actually be possible to recreate this phenomenon in a theatrical setting, but I do think that it helps us expand our conceptualization of the space. I know that I am personally accustomed to thinking of only the overhead and sidelights, but there are so many more possibilities. One way of approaching this problem would be to place electric lanterns on the floor, so that the light is coming from below the dancers. I imagine that it would only illuminate the lower half of the dancers’ bodies, which would provide a distorted perspective on their movement, similar to some of the routines with light that Pilobolus has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment