Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Response to Three Chapters by an unknown source—

Currently, I think I am in the creative process state of worry. Is this right? Are my dancers happy? Does this make sense? Is this interesting enough? Am I doing enough? And honestly, despite all of these worries I do feel a sense of confidence in the way I have been running rehearsals. I have equal parts of setting my material on my dancers, having them improvise and then setting interesting phrases from that all the while allowing them a say in the process. Finding a moment of inspiration come from a ‘mistake’ has yet to come so maybe it will or maybe it wont. I do feel that when I enter the studio there is a sort of offering up of myself to the inevitable energies that govern, but how do I know if I am really being open to an organic unfolding of the creative process? How do I know if I am being daring enough? All of this is heading towards a tiresome and overly meta approach to these articles so I’m just going to get to it. What I got out of these articles was to keep trucking. In the words of Dori from Finding Nemo, ‘Just keep swimming!’ While I think there is validity in my worries, what’s more important right now is to keep riding the momentum of creative energy that is sourced from within myself and from my dancers. Life is simple like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment