Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Kereem Morgan 360 - Stepping into the Unknown

The article this week was certainly out of the ordinanry in regards to dance because of it's scientific approach, but it was useful information to retain nonetheless. My only problem with this article is that the topics jumped around tremendously. So much so, I had to reread this article twice over to fully comprehend it. One of the most interesting quotes in this reading was, "In scientific research the world's most advanced reseachers spend years conducting experiments that don't work." This quote made me think about my current choreographic process because as a dancer I have been building choreography for years and now trying to incoporate these prior visions into my current chorography is certainly follow tha refreshing reality check when it does not follow through as expected. However, I continue to build work and even though it may not work in one aspect, it can possibly work in another. Another quote that coincides with my choreographic process is, "Transformation occurs when we lose our way and find a new way to return." I get where the author is going with this statement, but I do not know if I can fully agree with the term "losing our way." I would not consider my transformation occuring when "losing my way". I see it more as an "exploration" of movement and it is within this exploration that my transformation happens. Overall, the reading was interesting and informative, especially now that I'm choreographing a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment