Thursday, October 29, 2009

African Dance in New York City

African Dance in New York City
This article brought forth many of the standing traditions of the present New York culture I have taken for granted. Ever since I was a child I remember attending DanceAfrica in Downtown Brooklyn next to BAM. I recall being excited to take part in workshops but being too shy to perform at the street festival in front of my parents and other attendees. The festival is lively, intriguing and welcoming to all who attend it. From the food, to the clothing, to the music, to the dances, to the boundless street vendors; all contribute to the festival’s one of a kind feel. There is such a spirit of love and genuine nature that surrounds the festival and all of its attendees. It brings such a sense of pride in all those who attend.

One year at my school’s annual Harambee festival one of the dance groups who gained their notoriety from Dance Africa (2005 I think) came to my High School and performed. I remember the sheer adrenaline rush that I felt when I was chosen to take the stage and just dance with the drummers. There was an almost spiritual feel to it to be able to let the drums take you and simply not worry horry u looked but just living and breathing in that particular feeling.

The article also touched upon the topic of Black Power which I find fascinating. It spoke about the dance culture contributed to the new feel and culture that is black America today. However in that same breath I feel the spirit and fervor that was once present in this country in regards to Black, dance, culture and the African Diaspora has waned. The same pride my grandmother and parents had about presenting themselves is a certain way of respect and fortitude no longer shines through. In today’s media dance craves reflect dance moves of our previous generations slightly altered. The sense of genuine talent and laudations of the true artists has decreased. The people in this article through poverty, misfortune and tribulations still persevered and made their mark on the world no matter small. Why is it so hard for the present generation to do the same.

Mona Quarless
Dance 0163

No comments:

Post a Comment