Friday, October 9, 2009

Kereem Morgan - Adv 360 Lighting Concept - Light and Shadows

Finding the Light: Shadows

I must say Middlebury’s landscape is one of the most scenic layouts I have ever seen. However, I wonder how often people on campus pay attention to the architectural scenery. For example, the lamp post strategically placed around the campus are passed by everyday by students or faculty tending to their day-to-day routine never stopping to take notice of them because they’ve become inauspicious overtime. It is not until night fall, when these lamp post illuminate the streets providing the main source of light on campus that people acknowledge their presence. For the first time ever, primarily because of this assignment, I actually took the time to pay attention to the shadows the light glowing from atop the posts casts on the ground. These shadows really intrigued me and reinforced my interest in integrating the use of shadows in my piece.

To recreate this using the lighting in the space, I believe I would have to use the white high side lights coming from the right side of the stage beaming downward hitting the ground, while the left side of the stage is left completely dark. As the dancers move in and out of the light, their shadows would be cast in the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment