Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Yale's Project O- Flo DiBiase 163A

I found this project to be an interesting study of cultural and generational styles of dance and race's role in dance. The concept of "looking back" at history is one that fascinates me. I believe history should play a constant role in our lives in order to help us make better decisions and maintain a more educated view on life. While I understood the intentions of the students who vehemently argued that they did not even notice the color of people's skin and the existence of racial categories, I am not sure whether this is the ideal for society. While all should be given the same opportunities and treatment, I still believe that our knowledge of our historical backgrounds is a beautiful and important thing. I do not think people should be grouped and separated by our backgrounds. Diversity should be celebrated and add dimension to our everyday lives. Our histories should also be shared with and explored by others.
Project O took this concept and explored history from the 50's to today. It was interesting to see the transformation in the use of dance through decades. Reading about the discomfort and dislike experienced by modern day dancers when practicing older dance styles shows time's influence on our art and entertainment forms. I think their adaptations of past influences and dance styles to the present was really cool, taking history and transforming it into a fusion that fits with modern day culture. That is, to me, what history should do; stay in the backs of our minds and guide and shape our decisions.
As far as the project is concerned, I think it was a great idea. Exploring the diversity of the ages, people, and their cultures is something I wish I could someday participate in. Discussing these topics of "post racial" ages and how we move and use our bodies is important and often difficult. I think I will always look back in order to look forward and hopefully will be able to contribute my history alongside others. In the art of dance, and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment