Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Response to Experimental Art—

Ok, so I really am going to try and keep an open mind to this article. I think with the past two articles I might have jumped onto concepts I agreed with and disagreed with too quickly. So in keeping with the spirit of the 60’s why not take the plunge?
Ok, step one. “Detachment of cultural experimenters from the body of culture.” I’m not sure how to go about this because I’m definitely heading towards playing with theme and variation of concepts that have already been seen in the dance world, but adding my own voice to it.
Next stepping stone. Trying to understand innocence as “an intellectual invention, which we are forever in danger of losing as soon as we seem to attain it.” This interests me because I am reading William Blake who in his poetry tries to destroy the dichotomous relationship between experience and innocence by showing how the two are in fact, inextricably bound. I hate to always bring up my literature studies to these readings, but currently movement and language are the two lenses through which I seem to be viewing the world, which brings me to another point of departure.
“Violate” my beliefs of art. Although I don’t have an internal checklist for what I think makes Art art, I am willing to become aware of what my beliefs might lean towards and think about ways to violate them. Hm, that sounds a little dirty.
This has been a really philosophical week with the culmination of the readings in our discussion and with Marciela’s residency. I very willingly take in and absorb all this information, but I also recognize there does come a point where I just like to let everything go and WORK! I will follow my intuition as far as my body knows how to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment