Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sophia Levine, 360, Body Knowledge/Body Prejudice

Embodying the Waffle

            The idea that we humans are the only species to develop our brains and bodies extensively after birth is very intriguing to me. When I was six years old, I was given an IQ test to determine if I was smart enough to do an accelerated academic program. I remember completing puzzles, trying to sound out difficult words, and generally wondering why on earth this person was asking me to do such arbitrary things (though I am sure I did not think the word “arbitrary” at the time). My test cam back, and I had scored a couple of points too low. In order to “prove” my worthiness, my mom sent in a portfolio of the artwork and shoes I made at home in my own time. I was accepted to the program and haven’t had a problem since—at least in regards to asserting myself as an intelligent human being. But it makes me wonder. Why had I been assessed in such a way? Why was there a number that could be placed on my intelligence and (supposedly) determine my potential for the rest of my life? Why hadn’t they had me dribble a soccer ball or asked me what I liked to do instead of giving me a test in a white cell with a man I had never seen before? Why hadn’t they just let me be a kid? That number is inconsequential for me. I am not trying to be the CEO of puzzling.

            Jump fifteen years. I am in Italy and we are playing charades. It is my friend’s turn. He dives on the ground and starts madly gesturing spots on his back. Hump backed whale! Polka dots! What the &*(#? His team screams. The time ran out. “I was a waffle,” he says dejectedly. I guess we each do have different ways of translating concepts with our “extension systems”. While the rest of us would have gestured the making of a waffle or the eating of a waffle, my friend embodied it. While his team was busy being disappointed, I couldn’t get over the wonderful differences in our physical communication. Just a few days before I had been gestured to come closer in the Italian fashion that the author had described (with the palm facing down) and had thought I was being shoed away. A few days later my new Italian friends commented on the fact that I was communicating what words I didn’t have with Italian gestures that I had picked up without conscious knowledge. For me, I suppose, movement is the most organic extension system, whereas for my waffle friend, who happens to be a brilliant writer and speaker, movement was more of a hindrance than help to communication. To each his own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment