Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Body Thinking 360 Response 4 AV

"Body Thinking" is the article I've liked the most so far. Early on, I was very skeptical of people who dissect dance in writing, but slowly, I am beginning to see how someone else's view of dance can help me form my movement. My basic feeling about this article was that I received explanations about stuff that is normal to me and surely the rest of the human race. When you repeat/practice something, you start to enjoy doing it because you slowly are putting things into muscle memory and your personality can shine. You no longer have to think about what you are doing. One must trust their limbs because it holds "intelligence" as Jean Cocteau put it.

It is also good to think about the ways ideas are expressed on a body. You have so many parts to use that it isn't always easy to be mindful of that pinky or that foot and so on. But, doing so can help reach a better "identification" of things. As Rodin said, one must "test to what extent my hands already feel what my eyes see". By the way, his quote on Le Penseur is great and very true! One could express thinking with intense eyebrows, however the rest of our body will naturally exhibit that tension. Our body parts are connected and can be used in many ways to express simple things such as thinking, since they are reacting to our emotions all of the time!

This of course plays into what the author talks about on mood. She gives an example of a person who is about to speak and before the speaker starts, the audience has already figured out what will come out of their mouth. Body language can speak in many ways, and I think this article will help me think beyond the movement I want to put on my dancers.

No comments:

Post a Comment