Wednesday, September 23, 2009

ExPeRiMeNtAl ART

Where does she come off?

In my opinion there is no line between art and experimental art because the validity in art is based on opinion, which ultimately exes out the “line” factor of this discussion. It is interesting to me that Alexandra mentioned that she did not “experiment” too much in dance because she is still trying to master the techniques she is being taught. However, the phrase “trying to master the techniques we have been taught” is experimentation because this new movement vocabulary that Professor Brown is teaching her is not familiar, rooted, or recognized by her own personal body vocabulary. The entire idea of the line exasperated me profusely because I may limit myself physically as a dancer, but I do limit myself or draw the line so to speak mentally when I dance. I consider each time I dance a new experimentation, where I may develop something new in my body or explore deeper what I already know. If she chooses to classify a difference in art and experimental art, then so be it. As an artist and human being, she is granted creative license to do so with her right of free speech. However, I don’t think it helped me in anyway. What her defining of experimental art did do for me is convey that there are always going to be people in a profession who want to assert their opinion to the masses, and it is up to you as the reader value it or disregard it, and in this case I plea the fifth.

Kereem Morgan - 360

1 comment:

  1. oooo I'm in this post! nice! Ha!

    Well, let's see...I believe that when I dance I am doing me. I am dancing because I can express myself in that way, but at the same time, every day I am learning something new. So, maybe that may or may not have been expressed well enough, but the truth is that I was speaking of style and my style is of mixed backgrounds. Because I have acquired so much vocabulary, I find so many possibilities every time I freestyle. That is what I mean when I say I am working on what I've been taught. I am not conscious of that, but that just is the truth. I am not done with figuring what I know and what my body might be able to do to go and do something wild. SO yes, I guess i am experimenting in my circle of self, but I'm fine with that for now.

    ReplyDelete