Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Lighting Moment for the Week 9/9

As I walking down to the studios Tuesday morning, I saw the sun peek through the trees and hit the smoke coming from the giant grate. As soon as the light hit the smoke, it became hazy and diffused. It was so beautiful. It did not make an extraordinary pattern on the ground; simply that of the sunlight falling in patches where the tree wasn't blocking it. Of course that in itself might be an interesting floor pattern. However, I was more concerned with the affect of the smoke in combination with the light. If you walked out of the direct pathway of the sunlight you could see the high-lighted smoke.

I am not sure how you might recreate the light-smoke effect without the smoke. I suppose one could use a soft light to create the morning glow effect with a gobo (aka template) in a blotchy leaf pattern, but that wouldn't necessarily give the hazy glow effect. In order to make smoke I suppose I would need to use a fog machine put on a light setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment