Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Body Thinking

Like Sophie, I too am always looking for new ways of synthesizing information. Body thinking and the understanding of the concept is certainly not new to me. However, the way in which the author introduces his/her interpretation of it forces one to realize how essential it is as a dancer. It is interesting to know that I am not the only one who found validity in the statement: “It is the dancer's whole function... to lead us in imitating his actions with our faculty for inner mimicry in order that we may experience his feelings. Facts he could tell us, but feelings he cannot convey in any other way than by arousing them in us through sympathetic action." I interpret this as a dancer responsibility of giving himself to the movement through sympathetic action. I find this imperative for my dancers to know because it would serve as valuable information in the development of my piece. More importantly, body thinking reveals our identity and is a way of disclosing ourselves, our interest, and our talents to the rest of the world. This reading was very enlightening and beneficial.


Kereem Morgan - 360

No comments:

Post a Comment