Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Liz Edouard-Danc 163- The History of Black Dance

“Black Dance” is a term that I was unfamiliar with prior to my reading of the article. While I recognized the majority of the names of the dances, I have always associated those types of dance as American dances, without thinking to define them further. While the roots of some of those dances may be more ‘black’ than ‘white’, they can no longer be defined as neither one nor the other. The same applies to ballet, which at its origins is ‘white’, but it has now been influenced by other techniques to create the ballet that we see performed today, which includes varying styles. Throughout history, as people have migrated and cultures have clashed, ideas have been influenced by a growing number of sources. With this idea in mind, I have to agree with the last statement by Bird that “it’s all some version of black dance”.

If one defines “black dance” such as Ronald K. Brown in stating that it is “any dance done by someone of African descent”, the term takes on a new meaning, one that is difficult to accept. A characteristic that he references in describing “black dance” is the “high levels of emotion connected with the dance”. While in West Africa, I became quickly aware of the importance of dance not only as a form of entertainment, but also as a form of releasing ones feelings. I learned from my host mother in Senegal that dancing is a way to express your emotions, and show people through each movement what you are feeling. As I’ve never had a good sense of rhythm, I always felt that I was not doing the right movement and I would get caught over thinking each movement. Dancing in Senegal, I learned to listen to the beat and just let my body move freely. I became almost connected to the music as it paralleled by energy and emotions and I would reflect it through my movements.  This characteristic of dance from African descent is unique as it personalizes the dance to a level that is normally not seen in European styles of dance, which are more reserved. Any person can use this ‘black dance’ in their movements and the effect will be the same, therefore it is not necessary for the person to be of African descent in the definition of “black dance”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment