Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sophia Levine, DNC 360, Body Thinking

I am constantly looking for new ways of synthesizing information. The idea of body thinking is not new to me, but the way that the author revealed it, reminded me of how integral it is to the work I do. I have this idea that environment, identity, and movement are incredibly connected. And it seems like an obvious thing until I try to describe just how they relate to each other.
As I was reading this article, I realized that body thinking is just it. Body thinking reveals our identity and is a way of opening ourselves to the world around us. Yes! Our body is our way of relating to ourselves and the world. Kinesthetic experience is a way of discovery and learning. Furthermore, all of our movement memories are stored within our body and can be drawn from the body to physically, viscerally, and psychologically revisit, reassess, and reexperience the way we felt in a certain place and time.
Often our brains get in the way of our processes and intellectualism becomes a replacement for actual experience. But if we (especially as dancers) allow our bodies to take the principal role in our thought processes and let go of our brains a little (maybe a lot), our work and learning will be that much more "embodied" and profound.

No comments:

Post a Comment