Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I really enjoyed this article for two reasons. The first was that I thought the author's point about how "although black dance remains undefined, Black dancers are defined and delimited by the white consensus that Black dance and Black dancers are synonymous." was really interested. It flowed well from last weeks discussion about how (if at all) one should and can define black dance. It made me think about how weird it is that if there were a black prima ballerina, some people would be torn as to how to define their style of dance. White because it is ballet or Black because it is a Black person dancing.
The second reason I enjoyed this article was because I felt it touched on something the other two articles were lacking severely which is the things that shape a dance form: music and culture. I thought the article provided a good rudimentary sense of how and who shaped what. 
Another thing that I found interesting was when the author mentioned that one of the reasons Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater is belittled is because it is so popular. Perhaps that is because it is based on a white dance (according to the article) and maybe more popular to some white people? Or perhaps it is because the definition of black dance is so fluid and according to some or many the AAADT does not fall in that cateogory.
Ele Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment