Friday, September 18, 2009

Sophia Levine, Lighting Moment, Dance 360

It was just past midnight, and I was tired from a long day. I trudged up the dark cavern of the stairs, barely able to discern where one stair ended and the next began. My roomate was working on her homework, and as I opened the door I seemed to be hit by a wall of white flourescent light. It wasn't the brightness of the light but its harsh coldness that struck me. Rather than a deer in the headlights I felt like a small organism being observed under a microscope. The light seemed clinical. To mediate the situation I switched on a small paper lantern that I keep in the corner near my bed. I crawled under my covers and read enveloped in the warm yellow light that it created.
This lighting moment would have to be divided into three stages and transitions. To create the cavern, we could bring up a very low downpool that would create a flatness of the figures on stage. The wall of light could be white or bluish backlighting that fills the stage but does not create a blinding effect so much as a discomfort for the viewer. The last stage would arrive at the upstage left corner of the stage from a single ERS with a yellow gel positioned on a ladder in the upstage left wing. The "wall of light" may have to be adjusted allow the yellow light to be seen as an isolated pool of warmth within the iciness and flatness of the rest of the light setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment