Monday, November 2, 2009

Stepping Into the Unknown 360 AV Reading 6

This author focuses on tapping into different methods of teaching and finding a new experience in learning. Instead of focusing on the technical and feeling stuck to one method, teachers can find a new motivation by finding the will to be creative, imaginative and let loose. Technique is always important, but it is also necessary to look into the free side of ourselves. The author states, "A new direction flows from the dissolution. There is a feeling of hope and transformation." That sounds good, but how easy is it to reach that creative place and find a new beginning. It is up to the person to do that and teachers can be the leader in pushing their students to feel comfortable in finding their own creativity. It can be frustrating sometimes, but in the end, something good will come out of our perseverance. In addition to a need to feel positive about your work, one must remember that even with access to tools, paints, etc. that we are the "primary participants in the process." It is so easy to feel overwhelmed by a huge dance studio and grand lights, but it is important to remember our role as the main character or ingredient in the product.
As for the second part of this reading, "Emanation", I couldn't agree more with the idea that true work comes from the place where one does not think/ is not aware of the fact that they are doing an activity. When I freestyle, my best moves come when I am really in my flow and I forget that I am freestyling. Looking at some of my taped sessions, I know when I was in my flow and when I wasn't. Getting to where the natural stuff comes out is just a matter of "creative practice" and warming up into your flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment