Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Reading 11: Being Seen Being Moved

Flo DiBiase 163A

I found this article to be very unlike the rest of the articles we have read this far in this course. It focused more on the personal meaning and conceptual meanings of dance, rather than a specific dance style. I will be taking a J-term class with Andrea Olsen and am thus now excited to start the class given her inspirational style of writing as well as her attitude towards dance. I really enjoyed Olsen's description of Authentic Movement and would like to try it out for myself.
In authentic movement, the dancer closes his or her eyes and unleashes their impulses in dance while a witness watches. I think my problem with my own improvisational dance is that I have not developed a high enough level of self confidence and trust to share myself with others, and thus most of my impulsive and improvisational dance remains secret and personal. I think that it would, however, be a great experience to become comfortable sharing my beautiful imperfections and originalities with someone else or even many others. I could then reach that state of shared community that Olsen describes, allowing them to see something new, a different perspective or emotion. I find that I myself often express things that I experience through my dance, and while dancing by myself, add originality to common movements I learn.
As far as group work, I find I often struggle to do my own thing. My insecurities often overpower my feelings for the movements and I end up sacrificing what I think and my full potential for the dance because I am trying to look around at other dancers. I need to work on this, especially as our final approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment