Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Response to A dance of identity and The Anthropological Approach (9)--

Ishamel is a character. I so enjoyed working with him this summer. I’d love to incorporate some of the movement and text-based exercises in my next piece because what he does really gets you into that uncomfortable realm of dance and politics. There are certain sticky issues I have avoided like the plague in this duet, but mostly I avoided them because I feel that at this young age, there are few politically stimulating events that I feel passionate about to want to speak out about. I guess there is the climate change solo I made in Nature and Creativity that is pushing me into that directions, but even with that, there is such a level of disease that I hold when it comes to incorporating text. There is something gut-wrenching about trying to put your beliefs out there on stage that the thought of pushing my opinions even further into text seems like a challenge I’d love to meet next semester. And although I had difficulty with the other anthropological text, I think it was valuable in highlighting how art is inextricably bound to culture. This was also valuable in its delineation of complex social methods of self-organizing like tribes and kingdoms to full-fledged societies and civilizations. This article also pointed to how cultural values define what constitutes art made in that particular society. The glossary is an incredible new resource as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment