Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Response to Human Perception (8):

“Perception must…retain an autonomous, individual, creative view of the world and to maintain a consensual view of reality that can be shared among all members of a culture.”

I really think this idea of the personal as a lens for the universal is one that keeps resounding in these articles. In my piece I am trying to maintain my sense of timing and rhythm of how I see the relationship between Alena and Jo unfolds. It’s my timing, but anyone can insert or overlay their personal narratives onto the piece. The subtext is what can be shared while the essence is, in my opinion, idiosyncratic and personal only to me.

“The tendency to simplify leads to a kind of leveling out of properties of a sensation.”

I have been working a lot with improvisation with my dancers, and they come up with beautiful phrases that I then set, but what’s interesting is how repetition deadens the initial freshness of the improvised moment. What I have been working against is this ‘leveling’ out of detail by inserting and creating narratives for the dancers to embody while they are dancing so they can really recapture the energy of moment. Precision in the physical body and in inner-thought are keys to clarifying the dance’s message.

No comments:

Post a Comment