Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lighting moments 10, 11, 12

Lighting moment 10:

I was sitting in my room the other day with my blinds up. It was the early afternoon and it was only beginning to get dark. I was deeply immersed in a paper that I was working on, and after an hour of intently working on the paper, I looked up, out my window, and realized that it was completely dark. The gradual coming on of darkness is something that could be especially effective in theatrical and dance lighting.

This could be replicated in a dance space by slowly dimming the lights in isolated patches in the space. Over the course of time, as the lighting dims, the space could go from being completely light to completely dark, without the audience recognizing any sudden shifts in lighting.

Lighting Moment 11:

The other night, as I was leaving the music library, I noticed how the slowly falling snow affected the light patterns on the ground. The weak, yellow light of the lamps on campus, create large circles around their sources. As the snow became more intense, the granular variations in the circle of light became more and more pronounced.

The recreation of this is something that, techinically, I'm not sure how to re-create. The first idea that comes to mind is a concept of moving Gobos. An artificial recreation of this could be achieved by stacking Gobos on top of Gobos over time. This would create the time-lapse of intensity and also stay true to the paterns on the floor created by the snow.

Lighting Moment 12:

I woke up the other night in the early morning and couldn't fall back asleep. I went on my computer and messed around on the internet for a while. After about a half hour of messing around on the internet, I realized that I hadn't bothered to turn any lights on. I examined the light surrounding me at the computer.

Everything was illuminated with a blueish-chrome hue. The shape of the light was circular and did not light a clear pattern on any surfaces. The effect reminded me of a dim sidelight, dramatically shadowing it's surroundings but not making an explicit shape on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment